The General Option is for students who have an interest in the Earth and planetary sciences and plan to pursue a career in science education, communication & journalism, medicine, environmental law & policy, business, etc.
Declaration of the major in Earth & Planetary Sciences requires a grade of C or better in 01:460:101 Introductory Geology or 01:460:100 Planet Earth or equivalent or special permission of the Undergraduate Program Director. Course schedules for each semester should be approved by the Undergraduate Program Director or other faculty advisor prior to registration.
460-L: General Option (B.A.) [40 credits total]
- 01:160:161 General Chemistry (4)
- 01:640 CALC1 (4)
- 01:460:101 Introductory Geology (4) [alternatively 01:460:100 Planet Earth (3) and 01:460:103 Introductory Geology Lab (1)]
- 01:460:300 Introduction to Sedimentary Geology (4)
- 01:460:301 Mineralogy (4)
- 01:460:302 Petrology (4)
- 01:460:303 Paleontology (4)
- 01:460:407 Structural Geology & Geologic Maps (4)
- 01:460:411 Geologic Field Methods (2)
Two additional 3-credit courses in 01:460, one of which must be at 300-level or higher; other acceptable courses are 01:119:115 General Biology, 01:750:203 General Physics, and those approved by Undergraduate Program Director.
Comparison of Major Options
|General Chem. 1||4|
|Intro Geology or equiv.||4|
|Mineralogy (spring only course)||4|
|Petrology (fall only course)||4|
|Sedimentary Geology (fall only course)||4|
|Paleontology (spring only course)||4|
|Structural Geology (spring only course)||4|
|Field Methods or equivalent course (taken outside Rutgers during winter or summer)||2|
|100+ level or approved elective||3|
|300+ level or approved elective||3|