For the past 35 years I have been carrying out research on the eastern North American continental margin using seismic reflection, seismic refraction, gravity, magnetics, coring, dredging, and deep-sea drilling. My research has been in areas from Canada to the Bahamas, and of different resolution scales--from the wreck of the U.S.S. Monitor to the meter-thick Holocene-Late Pleistocene sequences to the structure of the continental crust and upper mantle.
Bob Sheridan at the recovery of the USS Monitor turret
- Carey, J.S., Sheridan, R.E., and Ashley, G.M., 1998, Late Quaternary sequence stratigraphy of a slowly subsiding passive margin: New Jersey Continental Shelf: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 82, p. 773-791.
- Sheridan, R.E., 1997, Pulsation tectonics as the control on the dispersal and assembly of supercontinents: Journal of Geodynamics, v. 23, p. 173-196.
- Esker, D., Sheridan, R.E., Ashley, G.M., Waldner, J.S., and Hall, D.M., 1996, Synthetic seismograms from Vibracores: A case study in correlating the Late Quaternary seismic stratigraphy of the New Jersey inner continental shelf: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 60, p. 1156-1168.
- Sheridan, R.E., Musser, D.L., Holbrook, W.S., and Glover, L., III, 1995, Geodynamics Transect E3: Mid-Atlantic Coastal Plain and Continental Margin: Basement and Mantle Structure and Continent-Ocean Transition: Geological Society of America, Centennial Continent-Ocean Transect No. E-3, p. 69-78.
- Sheridan, R. E., Musser, D.L., Glover, L., III, Talwani, M., Ewing, J., Holbrook, W.S., Purdy, G.M., Hawman, R., and Smithson, S., 1993, Deep seismic reflection data of EDGE U.S. Mid-Atlantic continental-margin experiment: Implications for Appalachian sutures and Mesozoic rifting and magmatic underplating: Geology, v. 21, p. 563-567.