Sheridan, Robert E.
Room 230 Wright Geological Laboratory
For the past 35 years I have been carrying out research on the eastern North American continental margin using seismic reflection, seismic refraction, gravity, magnetics, coring, dredging, and deep-sea drilling. My research has been in areas from Canada to the Bahamas, and of different resolution scales--from the wreck of the U.S.S. Monitor to the meter-thick Holocene-Late Pleistocene sequences to the structure of the continental crust and upper mantle.
Bob Sheridan at the recovery of the USS Monitor turret
- Carey, J.S., Sheridan, R.E., and Ashley, G.M., 1998, Late Quaternary sequence stratigraphy of a slowly subsiding passive margin: New Jersey Continental Shelf: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 82, p. 773-791.
- Sheridan, R.E., 1997, Pulsation tectonics as the control on the dispersal and assembly of supercontinents: Journal of Geodynamics, v. 23, p. 173-196.
- Esker, D., Sheridan, R.E., Ashley, G.M., Waldner, J.S., and Hall, D.M., 1996, Synthetic seismograms from Vibracores: A case study in correlating the Late Quaternary seismic stratigraphy of the New Jersey inner continental shelf: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 60, p. 1156-1168.
- Sheridan, R.E., Musser, D.L., Holbrook, W.S., and Glover, L., III, 1995, Geodynamics Transect E3: Mid-Atlantic Coastal Plain and Continental Margin: Basement and Mantle Structure and Continent-Ocean Transition: Geological Society of America, Centennial Continent-Ocean Transect No. E-3, p. 69-78.
- Sheridan, R. E., Musser, D.L., Glover, L., III, Talwani, M., Ewing, J., Holbrook, W.S., Purdy, G.M., Hawman, R., and Smithson, S., 1993, Deep seismic reflection data of EDGE U.S. Mid-Atlantic continental-margin experiment: Implications for Appalachian sutures and Mesozoic rifting and magmatic underplating: Geology, v. 21, p. 563-567.
341 Wright Geological Laboratory
- B.Sc., University of Aberdeen
- Ph.D., University of Toronto
Thin section of synthetic chondrule produced in the Rutgers furnace
Petrology of meteorites, experimental petrology, origin and early history of solar system. NASA grants support melting and crystallization studies on chondrules and normally provide one or two research assistanships for graduate students.
Chondrules reveal early solar system fractionation
- Hewins R.H., Zanda B. and Bendersky C. (2012) Evaporation and recondensation of sodium in Semarkona Type II chondrules. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 78, 1-17.
- Boesenberg J. and Hewins R.H. (2010) An experimental investigation into the formation of phosphoran olivine and pyroxene. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 74, 1923-1941.
- Whattam, S.A., and Hewins, R.H. (2009) An origin for PO chondrules from thermally annealed granoblastic olivine aggregates. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 73, 5460–5482.
- Whattam, S.A., Hewins, R.H., Cohen, B.A., Seaton, N.C. and Prior, D.J. (2008) Granoblastic olivine aggregates in magnesian chondrules: planetesimal fragments or thermally annealed solar nebula condensates? Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 269, 200-211.
- E. J. Tronche, R. H. Hewins, and G. J. MacPherson (2007) Formation conditions of aluminum-rich chondrules. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 70, 3361-3381.
- Zanda B., R. H. Hewins, M. Bourot-Denise, P. A. Bland and F. Albarede (2006) Formation of Solar Nebula Reservoirs by Mixing Chondritic Components. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 248, 650-660.
- B. A. Cohen, S. Levasseur, B. Zanda, R. H. Hewins, and A. N. Halliday (2006) Kinetic isotope effect during reduction of iron from a silicate melt. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 70, 3139-3148.
- Cohen, B.A., Hewins, R.H. and Alexander, C.M.O'D. (2004) The formation of chondrules by open-system melting of nebular condensates. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 68, 1661-1675. Download this paper
- R. H. Hewins and G. E. Fox (2004) Chondrule textures and precursor grain size: an experimental study. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 68, 917-925. Download this paper.
- S. Weinbruch, W. F. Müller, and Roger H. Hewins (2001) A transmission electron microscope study of exsolution and coarsening in iron-bearing clinopyroxene from synthetic analogues of chondrules. Meteoritics and Planet. Sci. 36, 1237-1428.
- B. A. Cohen, R. H. Hewins and Y. Yu (2000) Evaporation in the young solar nebula as the origin of "just-right" melting of chondrules. Nature 406, 600-602. Download this paper.
- R.H. Hewins (2000) A stormy nebula In Meteorites: Their Impact on Science and History (2000) Edited by Brigitte Zanda and Monica Rotaru, Cambridge University Press, 128pp., 94-101.
- S.V. Maharaj and R.H. Hewins (1999) Simulating flash heating in a muffle tube furnace. Meteoritics & Planet. Sci. 34, 885-890.
- Weinbruch S. and Hewins R. H. (1999) Reply to comment by J. Paque, H.C. Connolly, and G.E. Lofgren on "On the lower limit of chondrule cooling rates: The significance of iron loss in dynamic crystallization experiments", Meteoritics & Planet. Sci. 34, 673-675.
- Connolly Jr., B.D. Jones and R.H. Hewins (1998) The flash melting of chondrules: an experimental investigation into the melting history and physical nature of chondrule precursors. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 62, 2725-2735. Download this paper.
- Weinbruch S., Buttner H., Rosenhauer M. and Hewins R. H. (1998) On the lower limit of chondrule cooling rates, Meteoritics & Planet. Sci. 33, 65-74. Download this paper.
- Hewins, R.H., Yu, Y., Zanda, B. and Bourot-Denise, M. (1997) Do nebular fractionations, evaporative losses, or both, influence chondrule compositions? Antarct. Met. Research 10, 294-317.
- R.H. Hewins (1997) Chondrules. Ann. Rev. Earth Planet. Sci. 25, 61-83.
- R.H. Hewins and Herzberg C.T. (1996) Nebular turbulence, chondrule formation, and the composition of the earth. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 144,1-7. Download this paper