- B.S. City College of New York
- Ph.D. Columbia University
- Docteur honoris causa, Sorbonne, Universities of Paris-IPGP
Paleomagnetism, geomagnetism, and rock magnetism, and their application to geologic problems. Current interests include Cenozoic and Mesozoic geomagnetic polarity time scales, paleogeography, paleoclimatology and the long-term carbon cycle, true polar wander, and early hominin dispersal.
Fellow of the Geological Society of America, American Geophysical Union, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.
- Undergraduate: Earth and Life through Time
- Graduate: Seminars in Earth Magnetism, Special Topics in Earth Sciences.
- Kent, D.V., P.E. Olsen, C. Rasmussen, C. Lepre, R. Mundil, R.B. Irmis, G.E. Gehrels, D. Giesler, J.W. Geissman and W.G. Parker, 2018, Empirical evidence for stability of the 405-kiloyear Jupiter-Venus eccentricity cycle over hundreds of millions of years: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 115, 6153–6158. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1800891115.
- Lanci, L. and D.V. Kent, 2018, Forward modeling of thermally activated single-domain magnetic particles applied to First Order Reversal Curves: Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth, 123, 3287-3300. doi:10.1002/2018JB015463.
- Muttoni, G., G. Scardia, and D.V. Kent, 2018, Early hominins in Europe: The Galerian migration hypothesis: Quaternary Science Reviews, 180, 1-29.
- Muttoni, G., and D.V. Kent, 2019, Adria as promontory of Africa and its conceptual role in the Tethys Twist and Pangea B to Pangea A transformation in the Permian: Rivista Italiana di Paleontologia e Stratigrafia, 125(1), 249-269.
- Muttoni, G., and D.V. Kent, 2019, Jurassic monster polar shift confirmed by sequential paleopoles from Adria, promontory of Africa: Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, v. 124, 10.1029/2018JB017199.
- Olsen, P.E., J. Laskar, D.V. Kent, S.T. Kinney, D.J. Reynolds, J. Sha, and J.H. Whiteside, 2019, The Geological Orrery: Mapping Chaos in the Solar System: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1813901116.