- B.Sc. City College of New York
- Ph.D. Columbia University
- Docteur honoris causa, Sorbonne, Universities of Paris-IPGP
Paleomagnetism, geomagnetism, and rock magnetism, and their application to geologic problems. Current interests include Cenozoic and Mesozoic geomagnetic polarity time scales, paleogeography, paleoclimatology and the long-term carbon cycle, true polar wander, and early hominin dispersal.
Fellow of the Geological Society of America, American Geophysical Union, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.
- Undergraduate: Earth and Life through Time
- Graduate: Seminars in Earth Magnetism, Special Topics in Earth Sciences.
- Harmand, S., J.E. Lewis, C.S. Feibel, C.J. Lepre, S. Prat, A. Lenoble, X. Boës, R. L. Quinn, M. Brenet, S. Clément, G. Daver, J.-P. Brugal, L. Leakey, R.A. Mortlock, J.D. Wright, S. Lokorodi, C. Kirwa, D.V. Kent and H. Roche, 2015, 3.3 Ma Stone Tools from Lomekwi 3, West Turkana, Kenya: Nature, 521, 310–315.
- Kent, D.V., B.A. Kjarsgaard, J.S. Gee, G. Muttoni and L.M. Heaman, 2015, Tracking the Late Jurassic Apparent (or True) Polar Shift in U-Pb dated Kimberlites from Cratonic North America (Superior Province of Canada): Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, 16, 983–99.
- Lepre, C.J. and D.V. Kent, 2015, Chronostratigraphy of KNM-ER 3733 and other Area 104 hominins from Koobi Fora: Journal of Human Evolution, 86, 99–111.
- Muttoni, G. and D.V. Kent, 2016, A novel plate tectonic scenario for the genesis and sealing of some major mesozoic oil fields: GSA Today, 26, 4–10.
- Muttoni, G., D.V. Kent, G. Scardia and R.A. Martin, 2015, Bottleneck at Jaramillo for human migration to Iberia and rest of Europe?: Journal of Human Evolution, 80, 187–190.
- Opdyke, N.D., D.V. Kent, D.A. Foster and K. Huang, 2015, Paleomagnetism of Miocene volcanics on Sao Tome: Paleosecular variation at the Equator and a comparison to its latitudinal dependence over the last 5 Myr: Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, 16, 3870–3882.
- Schaller, M.F., M.K. Fung, J.D. Wright, M.E. Katz and D.V. Kent, 2016, Impact ejecta at the Paleocene-Eocene boundary: Science, 354, 225–229.
- Schaller, M. F., J.D. Wright and D.V. Kent, 2015, A 30 Myr record of Late Triassic pCO2 variation supports a fundamental control of the carbon-cycle by changes in continental weathering: Geological Society of America Bulletin, 127, 661-671.
- Wang, H., D.V. Kent and P. Rochette, 2015, Weaker axially dipolar time-averaged paleomagnetic field based on multidomain-corrected paleointensities from Galapagos lavas: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112, 15036–15041.
- Zakharova, N.V., D.S. Goldberg, P. E. Olsen, D.V. Kent, S. Morgan, Q. Yang, M. Stute and J.M. Matter, 2016, New insights into lithology and hydrogeology of the northern Newark Rift Basin: Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, 17, 2070–2094.